Sunday, November 16, 2014

The United Federation of Charles is being boycotted by Gamergate


 The United Federation of Charles was recently boycotted by the Gamergate movement (see Gamergate Wiki) for its comments made here. I take this as something of a source of pride as it means someone actually thought my site was worth boycotting. A former associate of mine, who I disagree strongly with over the issue, offered to see if he could get the boycott removed.

I declined.

My opinion on the Gamergate issue remains unchanged. I don't think the spiel of ethics in journalism is worth an ounce of the time and effort they are putting into it while many horrible people are using it as code to attack female game developers.

The movement has come to symbolize the darker undercurrents of our hobby with individuals, particularly women, threatened by many members. I believe the vast majority of its adherents have never used anything other than harsh language. However, something about this movement has attracted the worst sort of people and if Gamergate wanted to make this hobby better, they'd focus on kicking these guys out.

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. Both sides have used inflammatory language and have bomb throwers. I really don't care since I follow developers based on their work without care to their race, sex, or national origin. I loved the story of the recently rebooted Tomb Raider which was written by two women. The only problem I had with the game is that the deaths for failing were overly gruesome to the point I cringed at some of them.

    In the words of Henry Kissinger: "Its too bad they both can't lose"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack Thompson recently got the support of certain segments of Gamergate after denouncing a certain female video blogger. This whole thing has gotten beyond the point of parody. I don't know what's going to happen next but if it can top that, they should make a movie.

      Delete